Are you protecting your hair and scalp from sun damage?Blog ▸ Beauty Tips, How To's | June 11, 2012
As we approach the summer months most of us are anxious to be outside in the sun. In our last blog article we talked about the importance of always remembering to apply sunscreen to our face and bodies but do we remember to protect our hair and scalp? I will admit I usually forget this but after burning my scalp pretty bad at the beach last year I won’t be forgetting this year. Plus, who wants to ruin a great color service you just got from your hairstylist?
You can still have fun in the sun; just make sure you follow these tips to protect both your hair and scalp.
1. Conditioner– If you are heading to the beach or pool, apply a generous amount of deep conditioner to your hair and don’t rinse it out- this will coat the strands of hair and help protect against sun damage. Try re-applying with a leave in conditioner every couple of hours. I personally love keeping “It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-in” in my bag. It helps detangle, controls frizz, seals and protects hair color, plus 7 other things; hence the name- It’s a 10.
2. Hat or Scarf– If you are going to be out in the sun for an extended period of time especially during the peak time of 10am-4pm use a hat, scarf or bandana to protect your hair and scalp. A wide brimmed hat will keep you very stylish at the beach. Plus, don’t forget to take your baseball cap if you are going to a ball game.
3. Braids or Twists – to help reduce the amount of hair being exposed to direct sunlight – pull your loose hair back in a braid or some kind of twist or chignon. Remember, with your hair pulled back your scalp will be exposed so it is very important that you apply and re-apply sunscreen with SPF protection. Braided hairstyles will make for easy application.
4. Avoid alcohol based products – Alcohol and oily styling products such as hairsprays and gels can get heated by the sunlight and cause hair to become very damaged, dry and brittle. Try and refrain from these products before stepping out into direct sunlight. Use products that have built in protection. Here is a list of UV filter imbued protectors that are listed in this month’s Launchpad issue…Sebastian Professional Halo Mist, Matrix Biolage Colorcaretherapie Color Care Shine Shake, Crack, Alterna Bamboo Color Care UV+ Fade-Proof Fluide, Goldwell dualsenses Sun Reflects Leave-In Protect Shimmer-Gel and Aloxxi Colour Care Dry Shampoo.
5. Color-treated shampoo & conditioners– chemically treated and light colored hair will need extra care and attention during the summer months as they are more prone to sun damage. To help extend the life of your color use color extending or anti-breakage shampoos and conditioners. If you do swim in a pool or in the ocean you want to make sure you get the chlorine and salt water off of your hair when you are done as it will dry your hair out more and use extra conditioning treatments.
What is your favorite product to use at the beach?