Who doesn’t want beautifully bronzed skin this summer? The answer is no one! Having the right glow can help to make your figure look better, your skin look healthier and is just plain pretty. However, there are a ton of ways that a faux-glow can go totally wrong. Here are some do’s and don’ts for getting the perfect color this summer.
• Exfoliate – Dead skin can cause irregularity in color. Use a scrub the day before applying self tanner.
• Moisturize – This will allow the self-tanner to be applied evenly and will make the end result more consistent. For optimal results, moisturize right after exfoliating.
• Shave legs (and any other body parts you wish) – waiting until after applying self-tanner to shave can cause the color to be shave off.
• Research – There are lots of self-tanning options out there, and they all have their pros and cons. Look into DIY options and spray booth options and choose what is best for you!
• Avoid water – after the faux glow application you need to basically, treat yourself like the wicked witch of the West and avoid water at all costs!
• Use an abrasive scrub – The bits that do the exfoliating (usually a fruit pit, nut, salt or sugar) should be smooth and polished to avoid damaging skin.
• Moisturize right before application – the purpose of moisturizer is to create a BARRIER on the skin. Lotioning up right before applying self tanner can prevent absorption of the color producing ingredients.
• Wax – Waxing exposes brand new skin that is usually more sensitive. Irritation can occur if self-tanner is applied too soon after waxing.
• Forget to plan – Most self-tanners require a few hours to fully develop. If you know that you are going to the gym or might get caught in the rain, you might want to change your selftan plan. Water and sweat can cause your tan to run and color to not fully be absorbed into skin.
What are some tips you have for getting that perfect Summer Glow?
Lindsey Watts is an Artistic Advisor at Empire Beauty School as well as a member of Empire’s Style Council. Her passion for the industry is fueled by the desire to make others feel beautiful, inside and out.